Thursday 1 November 2018

GCSE Media Assessment Learner Response - Autumn 1: October


Mark
Total: 20
Grade: 6


WWW:
This is a brilliant start in Media - well done! The first 8 questions are close to perfection and show that you have learned and revised the key terminology. Now we need to add the depth and sophistication to open up the 7-9 grades we definitely need to be aiming for!

EBI:
Very simple: Q9. For the high-mark questions you need to develop extended paragraphs that use examples from Media products to illustrate your points. For an 8 mark question, you want a minimum of two well-developed paragraphs. 

Mark Achieved for each Question
Q1: 1/1
Q2: 1/1
Q3: 2/2
Q4: 2/2
Q5: 2/2
Q6: 2/3
Q7: 2/2
Q8: 4/4
Q9: 4/8

Q6: 2/3
I think that I did not achieve full marks on this question because I didn't mention enough of the conventions that I could see on the film poster. In addition I used the wrong terminology by saying 'slogan' instead of 'tagline'. 

Q9: 4/8
I think that I did not achieve full marks on this question because I did not write enough due to running out of time. I also didn't think about referring to other Media products in my answer which I think cost me a lot of marks that I could have had.

Wrong Terminology
Tagline rather than slogan on question 6.

Slogan: a short and striking or memorable phrase used in advertising.
Tagline: a catchphrase or slogan, especially as used in advertising, or the punchline of a joke.

Stronger Question
One of my stronger questions was question 8. I feel like I was able to go into great detail about the effect of the camera shot and was able to name what shot it was quite easily. I also knew exactly how to structure and commit my ideas to paper making it easier to answer the question and achieve the higher marks. 

Weaker Question
One of my weaker questions was question 9, due to running out of time and using the ideas I had in the first paragraph I was unable to write the extensive paragraphs I needed for a higher mark. In addition, it never occurred to me that I should include other Media products such as the WaterAid advert in front of me in my answer.

Question 9 Redraft

Why do charities use pictures of children in their advertising?

I think that producers for charities use children in their advertising in order to make the consumer feel sorry for the child. This is because seeing a child at such a young age struggling and not being able to do anything about it will make them empathise with the child. In addition, people believe that we should protect and look after children so seeing a child in need would make you, the consumer want to help them desperately. An example of this is in an actual Media product is the WaterAid advert a case where a picture of a child is utilised. In the advert the was a child looking at the camera in a place that looks quite dry and lacking in resources such as water. The fact that the child is looking at the camera with such a serious face causes the audience to feel as though the child is beckoning people to help him. I think that the producers planned this in order to raise more money for the charities and receive more help from more people. I also think that the effect of having a child by themself in such a desert area shows how vulnerable they are.

To add to this, I think that the image is quite recognisable to the audience as the location and common issue in that location is easy to link together due to the fact that lack of water is not unusual in such a dry place. Also, another effect of using a child in the image allows the audience to associate the child with innocence and cause them to feel sympathy for the child and what will be in store for them in the future. Not only this but those who have children themselves


No comments:

Post a Comment